Monday, June 28, 2010

Mind Shifter!!!

The silly Okada guy was making cat-calls at me, lewd ones at that. My mind desperately willed him to stop, not just because he was embarrassing me and was being outright rude, it was more for his own safety. I was beginning to get really angry, which isn’t so hard these days, no matter how much I try not to. I didn’t know which emotion was fiercer, my anger or my fear for him because I knew just what I was capable of doing to him if he pushed me beyond reason. I was a woman crazed enough to want to kill her own mind, God knows what I would have done to him...


Like a person who has told so many lies and wound a web so intricate and complicated that she can’t even remember what the truth was to start with, I’ve been so many different people in this little-big mind of mine and I’m not sure I’m sure what is really me and what is not. Just like the Shape Shifter in Heroes, I’m what you could call a Mind Shifter. All he needs is any part of you carrying your DNA and he’s you! I don’t need no DNA, I can get into your mind and pick just that tiny bit of you, just a wispy fleeting thought, and I can shift and re-arrange my mind, make me think like you, relieve your memories, see your innermost fears and your darkest secrets. In a moment, I can strip you to your core and see right into your very soul.

If I handed you a loaded gun, I know you wouldn’t go off and rob a bank, rather, you would pop that guy she dumped you for. Oh, you didn’t realise that’s what your sub-conscious has been dreaming up? How ironic, I know you even better than you know yourself! If she’d agreed to go out with you, you would have taken what you wanted and done the dumping. Good, I can see you know yourself that much at least! I know about that weekend when you were 13 and you hid all those geckos under your sister’s pillow, I know what you told that guy about his girlfriend, and how you were such a good shoulder to cry on when he broke up with her, I know your brother has that limp because you rigged his bicycle, the bicycle that should have been yours anyway, and that first class, how you really got it is a secret between us, right? I know how much you want that car, you’re even willing to, you know, go the extra mile, you’ve been hacking into her profile on facebook and sending nasty messages to her friends, I know what your first thought was when we first met, I know very well that you still hold a grudge over that guy, all the way back in year two! I know just what you’re thinking right now as you’re reading this....

Alas, just like Sylar, who had been so many people that his body started to get confused and he grew an extra tooth that didn’t belong in his present mouth, I think my mind is beginning to get fractured, cracking up into a million shapeless pieces, reflecting distorted images of who I’m meant to be! Or maybe I got into one wrapped and twisted mind too many! Now I wish I could just tell my mind to shut up and stop jabbering so loud and so fast! I feel like it has developed a million voices and they’re raising a raucous in my not so pretty head! That is until they all suddenly fall silent and there is that deadly, sinister quiet, the quiet in which lie the monsters...

The pop-corn girl at the cinemas was curt with me the other day. I wonder what part of my mind, or rather, which one of them asked her to grab the hot metal popper with her bare hands. I’m sure it wasn’t even the same one that made her keep her tight hold even when the air got filled with the acrid smell of burning flesh and her screams. And the inhuman laughter that filled my head? Who was that? I can’t actually remember making the conscious thought but the pesky guy who was thrusting the pair of jeans in my face at Ojuelegba jumped in front of the moving bus! And the woman selling fish? She started to eat the fish raw. What did she do oh?! Can’t really remember, she must have abused me for pricing the fish too low. I admit that I made him slap her, right there in front of everybody. She shouldn’t have been so smug with me. I was going to tell her I was sorry later, but then I blanked out and the next thing I knew was that she was tearing off her own clothes, right there in front of Jaja! I swear, I didn’t do that, honest! I don’t know what happened! I really didn’t make my aunt pour the boiling water on my cousin, really I didn’t, even though she’s been pissing me off lately! Oh God, what’s happening to me?! I’m not any of this, believe me, I’m the sweet girl next door! All of this, every single thing just isn’t me! I wonder if there’s even still any part of me left!

So, this morning, I jumped on the next bus that passed by, not caring where it was going, I just had to get away from the Okada guy before I... then I noticed the conductor ogling me openly! Before his lips formed the words, I read his mind. Before I completed the thought, he jumped...

No comments:

Post a Comment