Thursday, May 14, 2015

My Best Friend


My Best Friend, or London Bestie, like we like to call ourselves, is not the easiest person to befriend but I still love him all the same. I’m not the nicest dude around either, but he still sticks by me, no matter what.
Tell me, how do you keep up with someone who never picks up their phone (the damn thing has its ringer permanently turned off), What do you say to someone who never replies to their messages or never even seems to read them?! And me? I’m really rubbish at visiting or meeting up, I usually can't be bothered to make the effort. Dunno what you say to someone who never catches up with you or checks up on you even though you’re just fifteen minutes away.
Well, I guess we're both quite used to it now. That’s how we are, it’s how we roll and it works so damn well. We’re in each other’s pockets for a few weeks, months even, then we drift and go our separate ways for a bit, and then one day, one of us just wakes up and goes “hey, I’ve got a London Bestie somewhere” and we get to roll as thick as thieves again, until something happens and we end up in different cities or different priority-landscapes or just simply get caught up with doing our own things, living our separate lives. He can be the most infuriating creature alive and I know I drive him up the wall more than half the time, so I guess we’re a perfect fit for each other.
So here we are, paddies again, and I think this time, we’re closer than ever before, in the sense that I think we’ve both grown over the last few years and we both have a deeper understanding of our friendship. He seems to have a way of knowing me in ways I doubt anyone else does, my quirky bits and the downright weird stuff that get other people squirming.  And he gets it, gets me, always has. Plus I guess if your friendship can survive our kind of on and off connection for so long, the mismatch of personalities and the living in different continents 90% of the time, there’s got to be something special about it.
So, despite all the crazy in our relationship (or maybe as a result of the crazy!), our Bromance is still waxing stronger and stronger with the passing years and I’m grateful for having my Best friend. So, here’s a toast to us, BFFs forever!



No comments:

Post a Comment