Sunday, November 27, 2011

Omo Dudu ati Omo Pupa III


Finally,
Marilyn and Sara
Break the bonds of Brotherhood.
Finally,
We remain not the same.
Thick as thieves, but worlds apart
Bonnie and Clyde
Soon will part.
We cry, then we laugh, then cry a little more.
Finally,
The wedding bells toll.
Finally,
The aso ebi will dance,
The families will gather,
Yams, and kola, and salt, and honey,
Not in Oyingbo, but in our family house!
Finally,
There will be Ida ana, momi nmo e
One face will be veiled with aso oke,
The other will look on, just another in the crowd.
Bridal shower, Hen party.
Inseparable we were, severed we are
One pea will leave the other in the pod
Because even the peas will speak different languages from now on
Eyes will see different landscapes on the same canvass,
Different citizens will inhabit minds once in sync,
There will be no more strolls through Oyingbo market,
No long talks, no laments, no reminiscing about the Queen’s city.
There will only be veils and tiaras, dress fittings and bouquets,
There will only be a march down the aisle,
A lonely stroll through the park,
There will only be singing and dancing,
There will only be silence…
I know we should be doing this together,
I wish we were doing this together like we both dreamed!
I wish we could be sisters forever,
But even though we can’t, I can’t help being happy, ecstatic!
Sometimes, I feel awful about it, but I’m walking on air!
I’m so excited and can hardly wait for the D-day,
Marilyn my dearest cousin is getting married!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment